From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of kakki
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 12:16 PM
To: Jenny Goodspeed; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: JMDL Digest V2002 #523 - Aging, smoking singing

Jenny wrote:

> Kakki - is it you who said Joni had throat surgery?
> Do you know what it was for?

I think she had some kind of polyps in her throat.  She told a story about
it at the PWWAM taping.  I'll see if I can find some cites to it later.

> On Joni's early recordings, I do not hear any vocal
> strain - her high notes are light and in her head
> voice where they should be.  Performing live in large
> venues is a whole different ball game, though, and
> it's possible she did some damage in that way.  But, I
> have no idea if that is the case.

I have no idea, either, it's just a theory. I would also think that the
strain and wear and tear would have come from performing live on so many
tours. To my ears, her voice changed markedly starting as far back as the
time from Court and Spark to Hissing.  I knew a girl in high school who was
training to be an opera singer.  Because of improper training (according our
music teacher at school) she suffered almost permanent damage to her voice
while still a teenager and her aspirations for a singing career were over.
He used to tell us about this as a cautionary tale in choosing vocal
coaches.  There is also the hormonal aspect - I've read how hormones affect
the vocal chords of some women as they age. Not that they make the voice
deeper - but there is some kind of shortening or other physiological affect
on the vocal chords.  There was also an interview with Linda Thompson posted
here a few months back that spoke of her almost complete loss of voice from
just that which has now been resolved by botox injections.

Kakki