Icarus flew too high.  Ameilia didn't plan her flight
correctly well enough either.  The song is discussing
their aspirations to something "higher" (pun
intended).  Joni doesn't mention Amelia's crash, nor
Icarus' ugly end, hence,

"like Icarus ascending
 on beautiful foolish arms."

Not arguing, just weighing in,