--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: > <<   I just noticed
that "Icarus *ascending* on
> beautiful foolish
>       arms" defies the myth of Icarus actually
> *descending* with wings burnt by
>       the sun.>>
>
> Huh? He *ascended* before he ever *decended*.

What goes up, must come down.

Icarus thought he could fly. At the point where he's
ascending, he's still under the delusion/illusion that
indeed he can fly to the sun. It's only the omniscient
storyteller, Joni, (and we, the listeners) who realize
the delusion. Icarus' arms are beautiful, but they're
foolish - foolish, because we know it's foolish to try
to fly to the sun on hand-made wings; we know he's
going to crash and burn; but we still believe in the
beauty of the attempt and wish, for his sake, that he
would make it. You can hear the love and sadness in
Joni's voice even as she sings this line. How can you
not love Icarus, even though you know he's doomed? So
go so many things in life - you really want the guy to
make it. Likewise, we know after the fact that
Amelia's flight was doomed, but no one knew this when
she took off. If she had made it, she would have gone
down in history. Because she didn't make it, she still
went down in history and probably remains more visible
because of it than she would have if she hadn't just
disappeared. It's beautiful and sad, the essence of
tragedy.

This whole false alarm thing is starting to disturb me
now, mainly because I have a feeling of what it means
but I can't express it in words. I find it hard to
separate one part of this song from the next. The
whole thing seems to be very stream-of-consciousness
type of writing and yet its construction is so tight
that it couldn't be. I've just been reading over the
lyrics at www.jmdl.com with fresh appreciation of the
Jenius of Joni. If I can figure out how to get these
thoughts out of my head and onto (virtual) paper, and
the thing hasn't been flogged to death by the time I
come up with something... I'm sure an entire BOOK
could be written just about this poem/song, so trying
to do this concisely would be difficult. I can see
this book as one of those dreadful scholarly tomes
with footnotes all over the place, which could destroy
the beauty of the poem - who wants to do that?)

=====
Catherine
Toronto