Victor wrote,

 "There's simply a cd player and
cd's that you put in the player."

---and the lump that's sitting in front of the cd player. There's the
barb.

Kidding. More kidding.

I am enjoying this little barb fest of love/hate. -More Joni duality.
-The question is, I think,  "How do YOU plan on living through the end
of Joni's career?"

Personally, I see T'log as brilliant, beautiful, daring, richly executed
project that is wildly better than I ever imaged Joni set to Orchestra
could be. It's a brilliant step up from BSN by everyone concerned. And
if you guys can't handle a 59 year old woman with enough gile, grapes
and daring to put herself -again- out on a musical limb, imagine the
pains yer gonna have when she's 70...  79... 93...

"Thank god, Uncle Wayne croaked and we don't have to listen to that
endless noodling anymore."
"Uhhhh, but that voice..." ( At 93, Joni WILL be singing in that comical
old woman's voice she used in one interview: "The Last time I saw
Richard was Detroit in '68. And I said, "Richard...")

Perhaps being in the middle of my mid-life crisis, I see this thread
from a different perspective. It is a metaphor, for myself at least,
about coming to grips with 'endings.' And how to live life in spite of
knowing it all ends.

Face it folks, All good things come to an end. Even Joni. You. Me. The
JMDL. Fests at Ashara's. Record contracts. Lovely, young, strong soprano
voices.

The question is, how gracefully are we going to deal with the close of
this brilliant, meteoric career? Whine? Complain. Lose one's self in
what was? Compare the next new cd to Hejira? Compare the next cd to
Hissing? Be forlorn if it doesn't measure up? Longing  for one more For
the Roses? Pray for a small jazz band? -How small. And without vision.
This is how you want to close your relationship with the greatest
songwriter in the second half of the twentieth century??? Here's a woman
at 59, with the gaul to see the blessings left in her person at the end
of her career and making the best of them. She's not lamenting the loss
of her highs. She's not pulling out the old cd's, waxing nostalgic over
happy days seen through rose colored glasses, soaking in what was. She's
forging on. Taking delight in what's been revealed by her limitations.
-Limitations?!

Those 'choppy' phrases... She's speaking the music! It's her voice
giving out!
Really?  From day one Joni Mitchell emulated her idols, Lambert,
Hendricks and Ross and made music with a more 'spoken' approach to the
line. It's always had a feel of being half spoken. -That's always been
part of the intimacy of her approach.

"On the next cd, she should work with a small band."
"She should go acoustic."
"She should sing a full cover of blah, blah, blah."

Ya know what? What we were blessed with for over 30 years was an artist
who lived her art. An art was shaped and formed from her life
experiences and nothing more. Somewhere in the earliest of days, when
she was writing countless forgetable melodies on napkins, I think she
came to the realization that the only way to be good, really good was to
be as honest as possible and to let them flow from her life experience.
When she was sad she wrote sad. And when she was in the company of 60's
melody she wrote that way with Morgan Morgantown. And when she was
forced by success into the social company of the upper crust, she
commented about it.

If the circumstances of her life lend to using a tight, small band, that
is the only way and only reason the new recording will be with a tight,
small band. It won't be because "she'll sound prettier for it," --which
is the motivation of people who ask for this to happen. I can hear Joni
now, "Screw pretty. I'm going to give you the art of my life man." And
she will do it trying to make the most beautiful product she can. The
girl has vision.

All of this is what T'log is for me. She took a life experience (the
momentary joy of being on stage in the company of a palette of many,
many sound colors...) and decided there was something she could do about
the 'spareness' about the old recordings. I firmly believe when Joni
listens to all the old stuff loved around here, what she hears is all
the open, empty  spaces where colors were meant to be, but aren't. The
bass lines she wanted on those records aren't there.  The drum lines she
imagined to be there aren't there. The 'brass' section of her guitar
wasn't the sum of the brass she envisioned in her mind. -And she decided
that the music was good enough, still valid enough, to warrant going
back and giving those quality songs a deeper sound color than they got
the first time around. Give the lines the grace notes that were left off
because there was so much story to tell. And perhaps as strongly, she
felt they were deserving enough to give the songs a maturity of
perspective that could have been there. -You know, THE most perfect song
that was meant to be on T'log but wasn't? Based on her own comments:
Cold Blue Steel. She was absolutely right in her observation that her
young voice at the time wasn't sufficent enough to carry the drama of
the song. -Cold Blue would have been smashing in her, at the end of the
game, voice.

And that's what all this is about, the end of the game.

I think Joni is looking at the end game and saying, "I'm going out just
as I came in, giving you the honest fruit of my life." Remember the
interview she did with the release of TTT, discribing returning to
writing for the sake of providing a song for a movie??? At the time, she
said something like, paraphrasing now, the only music she was hearing in
her head was from the 1940's and 50's. -T'log is a deliberate
celebration of music from the past. It's Joni turning her back on all
that is happening right now and saying there's no way she wants to play
in today's aesthetic sandbox. And I don't think she has any apologies
for it.

What we get is the honest fruit of her life.

When I contemplate the possibility of Joni making new music, I am most
thrilled by her ability to invent something new. It's a skill she's show
over and over again. -The exciting part is she still has it in her. No
one could have anticipated T'log, love it or hate it. She's going out
just as she came in. And when she says, paraphrasing again, that if she
writes again she knows she has to make a new shove... well kids, set
aside your
"wish-she'd-do-a-tight-jazz-band-do-a-just-her-and-guitar-thing-because-it'll-be-so-pretty."
We will be in for life art. It will be the unexpected. -And she will do
her best to make it beautiful. Dammit to hell, I'm in tuned to her muse
enough to say I'm going to love it and I haven't heard a note yet. -That
woman knows how to LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I plan on living through the twilight of Joni Mitchell's career?
I will not go out sitting with one piece of the puzzle weighing and
judging it against other pieces of the puzzle. I will look lovingly at
the sum total of the Artistry she has graced my life with and say,
"Thank you."

(Imagine how silly some of you are going to look when you watch that up
and coming movie of Joni in the studio recording T'log... the beauty of
that woman in the act of making art will be enough to make the harshest
critic aware of the power of this production. )

I listen to that woman sing, "Oh, where is hope?" and I think to myself,
'That woman knows how to LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Peace.

j.