In a message dated 12/20/2002 8:55:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> John, what an excellent post! Thank you for that.

Yes indeedy John, what a feast it was. It certainly deserves a wider readership than
the list, but then again, we're the ones who can read it and fully appreciate it.

To answer your question, for me a big part of it is realizing that I no longer expect
Joni to be the most anticipated release in the pipeline. I have heard so much
outstanding music this year that I haven't felt slighted by T'log, just disappointed.
But I've heard many other new works by artists in their creative primes that I don't
DEPEND on Joni to deliver that for me anymore. She can do as she wishes, as she
certainly will, and I will enjoy it in that context.

While your post was a truly brilliant piece, I remain curious how one can interpret an
artist doing their old material in the styles of 40's/50's as "moving forward"?

Composing/performing new material would be "moving forward"...performing songs she
hasn't performed before (as on BSN) would even be considered as "moving
forward"...working with new musicians, producers, instruments would be moving
forward...T'log to me is very successful at acheiving its purpose, but I don't see it
as "moving forward". Guess that's just me. There are some hints of "forwardness" in
these interpretations...the lovely harp on Refuge, Billy's too-brief organ riffing on
Flat Tires...just not enough capitalized opportunites to suit me.

Thanks again for your passionate words, John.

Bob

NP: CSNY, "Guinnevere", 3.20.00