My first awareness of death came when my dad bought tickets for us to see the
Carpenters at the Palladium, The first cassette I ever bought was 'a song for
you'. I was so in love with karen. It was a childhood crush and when the
concert was cancelled because of her failing health i was gutted, i just
didn't understand why until later. I believe there was a strangeness in Karen
and Richards relationship and one that can be better understood if you have
ever worked with a sibling ( I work with two of mine) In no way am i
defending the chap that wrote the comments about Richards sexual
predilictions however I do think there was an unspoken attatchment that
contributed to karens distorted self image. We can only wonder what went on
between the two of them. What can be stated is that both Richard and Karen
had problems stemming from their relationship with one another. Her death is
a great loss and i often wish she were still here, singing with that
beautiful beautiful voice, a voice like no other. also for those that have'nt
heard it its worth checking out Karen dueting with Ella on 'this masquerade'.

Are we really happy with this lonely game we play,
Looking for the right words to say
Searching but not finding, understanding anyway
we're lost in this masquerade,

Both afraid to say we're just too far away
from being close together from the start
We tried to talk it over but the words got in the way
We're lost inside this lonely game we play

Thoughts of leaving disappear each time
I see your eyes
and no matter how hard i try
to understand the reason why we carry on this way
And we're lost in this masquerade.

love to all

Clive xx