I> did I just hear and watch a tv commercial sponsored by Circuit City
> and the Department of Defense?  using Joni's "River"? to solicit
> messages to "our boys" who can't be home for christmas...?  they
> direct you to: http://www.messagefromamerica.com . . .
> why oh why would anyone sell the rights to this song to the US military?

We've discussed this before....but anyway, I believe that as a composer, Joni
would have no chance to allow (or not) the use of a song in a commercial. The
decision of whether to allow the recording to be used would belong to
whomever holds the copyright to that particular recording, which in this case
would probably be the record company that released it.
Bryan