At 01:29 PM 1/20/2003 -0700, Les Irvin wrote:
wasn't it actually Sue Mingus who uttered that line?

I think you're right...and now I'm wondering to whom it was directed. Many (most?) jazz chords are complex and often convey dissonance through their diminished notes and added 6ths, 7ths, and 9ths. And while many of Joni's "peculiar" (her description) chords are complex and contain these same elements, I wonder if the call for that "weird minor chord" is a summons for one of Joni's, which are many times based on suspended 4th and minor 3rd variations.

My recollection is the banter on "Mingus" was from a few folks (Sue, Swede, Charlie) hanging around the Mingus camp at that time. But is it possible that Charles was composing a song for the collaboration with Joni, and Sue was telling him he should insert one of Joni's chords...ah but to have been a fly on the wall...

Scott,
who thinks Joni showed us all just how fantastic her vocal talents were when she recorded that album.