--- Dan Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Does
anyone know what the quote is?  Was "that
> 'weird minor chord'" in the
> quote?

It's in one of the raps on Mingus. They (whoever
"they" are) are singing Happy Birthday to Mingus.
There's an argument about how old he really is.
Someone's playing it on the piano. In the midst of the
playing and singing, someone (most people think it's
his wife Sue and it sounds like the same person who's
arguing with him about his real age, so it's gotta be
her) says, "Play that weird minor chord". I presume
she's talking about playing a minor chord within their
singing of Happy Birthday. (The chord you mention is
very cool, by the way, and fits the description of
weird.)

>One chord that stands out would be the F7#9
> (the opening chord of
> Goodbye Porkpie Hat, perhaps Mingus' most famous
> chart), with both a major
> third (in the F7) and a minor third (an octave
> higher, the #9).  For those
> with an instrument, play the notes F A C Eb G#.

=====
Catherine
Toronto