Hi Mary, you wrote:

>While I don't agree with Kakki that the U.S. Department of Labor can be
spurred into action on a
> moment's notice by the mere suspicion of a violation (I don't think
they're that powerful, or more importantly, that >efficient  ;-) )

That's not what I meant to convey.  They can come in on a "moment's notice"
to the employer, not on their own whim, of course.  I have worked at one
company where they made a surprise visit, without any notice and with
demands to turn over records, and a threat of shutdown, and have worked on a
case where they arrived, with U.S. Marshalls, simultaneously at four offices
and taped the doors closed and came back the next day to take documents and
dismantle computer hard drives.  They want to "surprise" the place of
business before people can start hiding or destroying files.  But of course,
they have to have good cause and evidence to do so.

Kakki