--- vince <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Ok,
everyone, reveal your pets' names, and why.
> Lets see how much more
> creative anyone was than Coco

I often don't name a pet (especially a cat)until I've
lived with it for a while, at least a week or two. I
name them after what I think they look like they
should be named, so it has nothing to do with giving
it a lot of thought. My pets' names are pretty
prosaic.

Cat named: Emily.  AKA Smudge. This was the first cat
my ex- and the kids and me had together and we argued
about what to call her and Emily was the only name we
all agreed on. The name I wanted to give her was
Smudge, because she's a torty-shell mostly black with
some orangey/tan and she looks like someone smudged
the ink when they made her. I win in the end since my
son and I both call her Smudge. Or Smoudini. Or
Smooragoor. (Smudge led to Smudgie, led to Smudgrigar,
as in budgie coming from budgrigar; Smudgrigar said in
a slurred voice sounded like Smooragoor. Don't even
ask.)

Cat number two - named Charlotte. No arguments from
anyone there. I figured if Cat No 1 was Emily, then
Cat #2 had to be Charlotte. (aka Chuckles.)

Cat number three - Salem (it was the kids' idea and I
didn't argue with them. She's black and we got her
when Samantha the Teenaged Witch was on TV.)

Dog named Lizbit. She was already named when we got
her and she was 8 when we got her. You don't mess with
dogs' names, because they respond to them. Her CKC
name is Sherjak's Jewel of the Pines, but she was
never called that.

Getting back to the Emily/Smudge/Smoudini/etc thing, I
also give people a whole bunch of names. I used to
call my sister Margaret any of the following: Mugsie,
Mugwump, Maggot, Murk, etc; my sister Anne could be
Arne Saknussen (sp?), Annika, etc; my sister Susan was
aka Susquehanna, Sasquatch, Soupy and a bunch more.
The only sibling I didn't have a lot of names for was
my brother Michael. I just couldn't think of any. My
ex's name was (and still is) Gert (it's German. It's
not short for anything.) I used to call him Gertitude,
Gertitudinous, Gertron, Treg and, oh yeah, Shithead.

=====
Catherine
Toronto