David writes:

<< And a much more effective critique than tearing up the Pope's picture. >>

As a proud, hopelessly fallen-away American Catholic, even *I* was offended
when Sinead O'Connor ripped up the Pope's picture on SNL. It seemed like the
kind of publicity stunts Madonna was pulling at the time.  I knew the whole
thing would backfire on her. Then I went to Ireland (ten years ago) and saw
how much of a stranglehold the Catholic church had on so many aspects of life
there, and I could understand this young Irishwoman's anger.  I wonder if
this incident was treated differently in the Irish and European media. In the
US, Sinead was trashed by virtually everyone.

    --Bob