Mary wrote:

> Me now:  I'm basing this on a memory of an old article (maybe in Vogue,
circa
> August, 1995, which was one of the very first times Joni spoke of this
> experience publicly?).   And, as I recall it, the article discussed the
birth
> taking place in a Catholic hospital, not a home, although I could be
> wrong--it's been a while.

You are right - I thought she had been in awhile because she had commented
on how the unwed mothers were treated and it sounded like she was in for a
time.  She did stay in a Catholic charity hospital almost two weeks as a
result of complications.  She has spoken about this in a few articles - the
one I recalled is from the L.A. Times here
http://www.jmdl.com/articles/view.cfm?id=83  In this article, she also says
that it was the adoption agency, and not the nuns who told her to give the
back up quickly so it would be more "adoptable."

> However, whatever the exact location, I never got the impression that Joni
had
> much of a choice in the matter, or that she was somehow trying to punish
> herself.   Why did she go to the nuns?  She was young, pregnant, in
desperate
> poverty--and they were there.  It may have been as simple as that.

Yes, that is kind of my take on it, as opposed to the implication that she
was *forced* into a Magdalene Laundries situation.  Also, Joni was not
raised a Catholic, so the premise that she may have had some kind of a
lifelong sense of shame and self-loathing from them doesn't add up to me.

Kakki