I'm taking a singing class and I have to pick a song
to do solo. I have a hard time with this because I'm
an alto. I could probably hit the D above the D above
middle C on a good day, but would prefer to go no
higher than the C above. The problem is that most
songbook collections seem to be aimed at people with
higher voices, and tends to be very limited for anyone
who's not a soprano. And the stuff in the mezzo- or
alto collections is often songs I don't like that
much.

Songs I've done previously are "Don't cry for me,
Argentina" and "Skylark" by Hoagy Carmichael & Johnny
Mercer (I found a "low" version that didn't go above
the B above middle C).

I was even thinking of a Joni and thought maybe "Blue
Motel Room" but the problem is, I don't have the music
for this and I need to be able to provide the music
for the accompanist (piano.) So, that's probably out
(maybe next time.)

Whatever it is should probably be a "standard" type of
thing (didn't we just talk about this?) I don't think
I'm ready for opera yet, probably never will be, so
"Nessun dorma" is right out.

I have a few ideas in mind, such as "Bewitched
(bothered and bewildered)" or "I could write a book"
by Rogers and Hart since these don't go higher than C
over middle C. Also, maybe Judy Collins' "Since you've
asked" (in fact, there's a ton of stuff in her
songbook that I have that would probably do the
trick.)

My teacher suggested "Send in the clowns" (speaking of
Judy Collins) but I don't think I can ever hear that
song again without thinking about Krusty the Klown's
Komeback special, (Send in the clown. Don't bother.
I'm here.) so I'd never be able to do it without
laughing or wanting to change the words (to Send in
the Clones, perhaps?)

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know because
I'm getting a bit frustrated with this.

=====
Catherine
Toronto