I absolutely agree that DJRD would not have worked on Hejira. It's far too intense for
Hejira, which has a very definite mood of its own. DJRD would have stuck out like a
sore thumb, even if the imagery is compatible.
It's also Joni's vocals that really give it that edge and her excellent guitar playing
- it's so tight and it's got such a fun rhythm.
I agree that American ideals (or their disintegration) do seem to be a part of the
song's message. The inclusion of lines from The Star Spangled Banner and this dandy:
"Here in good old God save America, the land of the brave and the free, We are all
hopelessly oppressed cowards of some duality, of restless multiplicity."
She also seems to want to point out the industrialization of nature, comparing birds
to planes and serpents to trains: eagles in jet trails, snakes along the railroad
tracks/rivets in this eagle, boxcars on your snake. And in a beautiful little twist
she reverses the natural environments of both bird and snake with this line: "Big bird
dragging its tail in the dust, snake kite flying on a string." Almost as if the world
has gone a bit mad with "coils around feathers and talons on scales." There is a very
definite conflict going on in this song - it is, by its nature, a very restless song,
which I love.
As you can probably tell, it's one of my absolute favourite songs of all time.
-Andrew

 ron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:hi andrew     >>>>One additional clue for you, Ron, is
that it was written long before DJRD was released. It was "part 2" of Coyote from
Hejira. It didn't fit the pattern of the album so she relegated it to her next
release, which was of course DJRD.

well it fits perfectly into djrd so thats all right innit?? perhaps the basis of the
whole album with its whole questioning of american lifestyles?

im glad you told me about the coyote connection. i always had the 2 songs linked in my
mind because of the native american imagery - "coyote" and "serpent" & "eagle"

i guess im gonna get shot down here for my next statement. i think the song is just
too good for hejira!!! its too powerful, too raw, too intense, and with the wrong kind
of sound. not as smooth & sophisticated as any of the tracks on hejira, but perfectly
raw, innovative, and adventurous to fit in with the rest of DJRD..

btw - a truly excellent book which links american indians and music - "reservation
blues" by sherman alexie is well worth a read.

ron

np = world cup cricket - sa losing to west indies - damn that brian lara!!!!!!