Well, I got up at 5 am to jump on a bus with about 100 other
people who made it down to the anti-war march in SF on Sunday
(it was moved from Saturday in deference to the annual Chinese
New Years celebration, which is a big event in SF). The crowd
was exuberant, even joyful. Up to a quarter of a million people, from
old people that could barely walk, to couples pushing strollers,
all races, nuns, transexuals, you name it (one favorite sign carried
by a sixty-ish couple "Average people against the war"). Street
theater. A man standing on a wall, short hair, dressed in a suit
covered with blood and a sign saying "Everything is All Right",
exhorting people to "go home, everything is all right, you don't
need to be here today! Go home and watch your TV!". A small
brass band I could hear but not see playing "Give Peace A Chance".
A man holding a placard that just said "Imagine". Wonder Woman.
Bush and Saddam kicking each other in the butt, then kissing.
The slow walk to the city hall. Every five minutes or so you would
here this cheer coming towards you from the front, pass through
you and keep going onward behind you. We listened to Joan
Baez and Bonnie Raitt singing together on KPFA's live broadcast
as our bus pulled away early so as to get us home at a reasonable
hour. I was thinking of my web friends and the discussions
that have been taking place.
Some of my favorite signs:
War! Good God Y'all!
Bush Gives Vegetation a Bad Name
Collateral Damage Has a Face (Pic of a Middle Eastern Child)
First Strike Makes Us Terrorists
Not With My Taxes
Got Blood?
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease
If War is Inevitable, Start Drafting SUV Drivers
Save 2 Schools $3.5M....1 F22 Bomber $153M
How Did Our Oil Get Under Their Soil?
War Kills The Poor
Drop Bush Not Bombs
Blix Not Bombs
Bongs Not Bombs
(Flag) These Colors Don't Run Everything
George, Why Don't You Send The Twins? (Bush Girls Pic)
Who Would Jesus Bomb?
Impeach The Son of a Bush
God Bless The Rest of the World, Too
This is My Patriot Act