fred >>Good pick, Kate. Puts it all into stark perspective. "Too much
fucking perspective," to quote David St. Hubbins. It really expresses the
anger I've been feeling, especially, as the father of a 3 year old, this
line: "You've thrown the worst fear/That can ever be hurled/Fear to bring
children/Into the world."<<

fred thanks for posting those potent lyrics to 'masters of war'

i know how you feel having a young son fred, my son is probably out of the
ranks of being eligible but who really knows what is to come...i do have 2
other extended family members in the service (one who left last week for
kuwait- a young woman with a daughter - she is a single parent) & i have
several friends with kids over there now...

my beloved nephew is going in next month (of all times to join up)... but
i'm proud of him & his decision even while i am sickened & furious at those
who call the shots & yet have none of their loved ones who are at risk (save
one congressman)...

i cannot tell my nephew what i have heard from so many veterans of vietnam &
the first gulf war- about how they went in so young & brave, feeling how
they were doing the honorable thing & serving their country only to find out
it was not like that at all--- to the point that many who once served now
oppose this war...

then there is the whole issue of veteran's health benefits...a long standing
problem for those who we call our heros...its disgusting...

congress just approved a tax cut of $25 billion to veterans benefits just as
we have started this war...talk about an axis of evil...