Does this mean that we will all be having cocktails by the pool soon??

> Gillian wrote:
>
> << Who is Kakki  to gauge how much someone else should enjoy another artist's
> work and/or how loudly they should clap? >>
>
> To which Kakki replied
>
> << What's ironic is that I thought I'd conveyed my extremely mixed emotions
> over the whole situation and did state I didn't know what people should have
> done regarding their applause. >>
>
> To which I can only add "hear hear!"  You DID convey your ambivalence and
> seemed to me to go out of your way to stress that you *weren't* decreeing what
> people should have done.
>
> As I'm sure you're aware Kakki, I disagree with you pretty comprehensively
> about most things political.  Despite, or maybe because of that, I want to say
> that I totally support you on this issue, in the light of this unseemly
> sniping, although I'm not sure two people counts as "Kakki bashing" (and I
> know it wasn't you who used that phrase)- I'm glad to see that several people
> share this point of view.  I also agree with you that Ric owes you an apology.
>
> Azeem

Then Mack wrote:

No, that was me.  I am not sure just exactly how many it takes to constitute
a bash.  3?  12?  Webster defines it as -to engage in harsh, accusatory
criticism.  Sounds like that fits the bill.  I often don't agree with Kakki
either on politics, although many times I do, but I read each and every post
she puts forth here.   Why?  Because she is informed and makes her points
concisely, passionately, and without getting personal, although on occasion
she has had to delve into the latter, a bit, when attacked, but more often
than not she doesn't even engage in that.    It seems as if she and her
posts are always held to a different standard than anyone else.  I can only
surmise it is because of her stances on different subjects that are often at
odds with the consensus, here on the JMDL.   I appreciate her and her views.

mack

Mack thanks so much for this insightful post. I have been resisting posting
for so long about this, mostly because I am so overwhelmingly depressed
right now and have not been myself. I always come here for relief from
life's troubles and to find likeminded people musically and family. The
attacks that have been aimed at some I hold in the highest regard disturb me
so much. I have been knowing Kakki for over 6 years now and I have had some
incredible times with her at Jonifests or just chilling by the sea in New
England or as a guest in her home or just here in cyber space. We have
talked about everything under the heavens and she always has been so
forthcoming and intelligent in our discussions. We agree on so many things
(especially Joni, music, food, choice of cocktails, and company) but not
always. I have never seen her ATTACK anyone personally for their views or
beliefs. Yet she is always attacked for posting something timely in the news
or what ever the current thread is or whatever. She is the most gracious
hostess I have ever known. A true giver. I don't recall her asking me for
anything in return for all the things she has offered me and others on this
fecking list. She is connected, and I don't just mean hollywood. She gets
it. She's far more intelligent than I will ever be and sometimes goes so far
over my head with the political stuff, BUT....I always find her interesting
and forthcoming with information to back up her current discussion (or rant
as I think someone put it). She almost always backs up her discussion with
links to sights etc. and NEVER has said an unkind thing to someone
personally because they don't agree or "smoke the same cigarettes as me"
(sorry I digressed into the stones for only a moment) or whatever. Bottom
line is, if you are gonna get in on these discussions, keep it to topic and
not take a swat at someone cause you are different.

In these times I think we all need each others support as friends and think
we can all agree to disagree with each other on whatever the topic (God
forbid that we might even learn something from one another), BUT we don't
need to ATTACK each other and send the heavy artillery to flame some person
personally. I encourage everyone to talk about whatever they want to talk
about (even tho I was one who rebelled against anything other than Joan in
the beginning, but only cause I was young and stupid) this list is a
community for all of us and what I have come to appreciate more than
anything including Joan is what is going on in your personal lives, the mini
fests, the musical NP's and suggestions, what Colin's animals are up to,
what bikinis Jimmy's Cuban is wearing on the beach, (Icould go on fer days
here but this already tooooo long)  and whatever. The only thing I REALLY
hate is to read an outright attack on someone because you disagree or
because you haven't gotten laid recently, or it's your period, or you so
fecking depressed or you wanna lash out at someone else to make everyone
else as miserable as you are (insert your own lame excuse
here________________________________________________________________________
{hope that was enough room for your excuse} ).

I truly have been in a horrible funk lately. The war has really affected me
in a very bad way and my personal and professional life are not much better
(not to mention that friends on the list who have been laid off of work or
suffering with sickness or loss..... And on and on). I am somewhere in the
middle in regard of it and I find that I have no one to communicate with
about my feelings for it. I usually avoid political discussions, but feel
that I need to talk to someone about it. Even thought I usually feel like I
can say anything here, I don't feel comfortable talking about my feelings
about it because I fear that it will just turn into some personal attack
because I don't feel the same way as you do. That is NOT a good thing for a
list like this one where most of the folks are intelligent as well as
compassionate and comforting to their brothers and sisters. Normally even in
the worst instances I can rise above the bad and see or feel the good. This
war and my personal and professional life have been in a downward spiral for
the past couple of weeks.

I got a haircut today and had a drink (I have been on the wagon for over a
week which probably explains everything), and had some razor clams from New
England (go figure) at Rio Mar (my fave restaurant in New Orleans) and I am
feeling better and up to posting after a long lurk. Wish I had a few of you
here in the house to play a few tunes and knock back a few.

I wish to thank Bob Muller for all his report on the W2W as well as everyone
else who shared their thoughts on the gig.

My ass has leaned (as we all knew it would) towards attending this years NE
Jonifest and I am longing for the closeness and music with so many of you. I
wish you all well and I pray for the brave people who are defending us
abroad, unworthy as we may be, and pray for a swift end to the war. I also
wish that all of you answer so many of our prayers and be tolerant with one
another in our home here on the JMDL (thanks Les!). I wish you all comfort
and love in your lives and look forward to breaking bread and toasting us
all in person soon.

Love

Paz

P.S. Happy Birthday to Evian and Suze! Annie get and IPOD (go Macs). And
Fred Simon I was thinking it might be a good week to try heroin too, but I
quit drugs just in time lol. Also thanks to Bryan for the Gino Vannelli
recommendation, I love that guy! Sorry for the long post! It's better than
me catching up after 800 posts with 19 of my own! Out!