> wow.  a true missy fan.  lori, you've got me forever now.

yay!

> we often hear or read here that people 'don't get joni.'  well,
> most 'don't get melissa.'  it is those obscure lyrics, those tunes
> most haven't heard that show the real missy manchester, not the
> hits.

I completely agree.  See, even though I was about 19 when I made the
connection between Melissa and Joni, I was 15 or 16 when I first saw
Melissa on some late night TV show.  She played piano and sang "Home To
Myself," and it just blew me away.  I thought, "Whoever this is, she
wrote this song for ME!!"  I sometimes regret that I wasn't into Joni
when I was going through the agony of adolescence, but I did have
Melissa, and she got me through a LOT of lonely, troubled times.

> remember the line 'so will you take me with you now, or have they
> taken you?'

My mind is foggy ... but I sort of recall it.  Melissa wrote so many
great lyrics, and yeah, she never has gotten the recognition she
deserves for her writing or for her magnificent voice.

Btw, my then-boyfriend Henry, who hated my "Melissa afro," was kind
enough to take me to see her IN CONCERT in 1976!!  Absolutely flawless.

Lori,
loving these memories and leaving work soon to play "The Essence of
Melissa Manchester"