W dniu 19.06.2015 19:39, Richard Fairhurst napisał(a):

I'd be keen to do so. Last year P2 adopted the editor-imagery-index which Ian devised, and I don't see any reason not to do the same with tag presets.

The one proviso is that sharing tag presets will be a bunch more complicated than sharing imagery sources, because they're typically not just presented as a simple list - there's a whole UI around them, and that UI differs from
editor to editor. But that's no reason not to give it a go.

Oh, and you are also the one who started iD development (that's what Wiki says =} ) - great! "Common set" makes sense only if there is more than one entity using it, so I'd like to know if you think it can be also used in iD?

And I'm still curious why JOSM developers didn't like the idea and if there's a possibility to reconsider it?

Here's why: I'm a translator of JOSM to Polish for some time and I find current state of presets to be kind of mess. They're very useful, however they have to be treated with care, because mappers tend to rely on the names. It is a serious task for one man to fix the translation of one editor and make it unambiguous and coherent - but I guess I made it to the level I think is sane (not perfect, though). But then we have also the second very important editor which I don't use, so it's harder for me to fix it. And we have a website with a great "?" (show objects data) button, which uses its own set of names. It would be good to use common names at least in those 3 important OSM sub-projects - and probably on Wiki too...

I could start translating/fixing the presets in iD now if there's no way to start sharing the presets in the reasonable timeframe. But I don't want to loose my time if this common set can be deployed in the short (or even medium) run. There are much more things I think are worth doing in OSM and if we decide to share this resource, I would take care of just one set, which would allow to have more coherency in the whole OSM and give me more time to contribute to other parts of this project.

--
"The train is always on time / The trick is to be ready to put your bags down" [A. Cohen]