Dear Smitha,

I've been a silent member for a long time. So let me introduce myself. I am
from Madras(Chennai) and work in the software field at HCL Cisco in the same
divn. as Giju George (our Web admn). I attend St Tereas's Magnificat Prayer
group. Nungambakkam. It has been edifying and encouraging to read
testimonies, spiritual articles, pray for people asking for prayeron Joynet.

 I'd like to share my views on the question. Well, upfront I would like to
say that one may not be able to give a direct affirmative or negative
answer.
The Bible for example, would give us only guidelines on the subject.Even
contemporary Christian books will not be able to tell us if X can watch Y
film.

 Having said that, I'd like to point out that our media,particularly
Hollywood, has experienced a 'progressive' deterioration in morals since the
1950's and 60's after the 'sexual revolution' originating in the US.  In
those days they frowned  on using the word 'pregnant' on TV, now they even
show you how it happens...

We need to consider the following before watching a 'normal' entertaining
film that may have some sexually explicit scenes.

1. Has this been/ still is, an area of weakness for me. If so, better not
to.

2. What is my intention/ motive of watching the movie (v imp). If it is  to
watch something for lust, then even a film without such   scenes can  create
sinful desires.

3. Does it lead to sinful desires and thoughts (remember David's full colour
movie screened on his terrace starring Bathsheba and leaving nothing to his
imagination - like some of our movies..)?

4. How often do I watch movies / Can I afford the time (time and money are
two destiny determining resources that we have at our disposal)

5. Would I watch this with my family, with Jesus (tough question ???)

6. What has been my past experience of watching such films?

7. Might I be giving a weaker Christian a doubtful example?

I'm not speaking specifically about the movies you've mentioned - have'nt
seen most myself. But from similar ones I get the impression that the spirit
of the world is taking over our entertainment - be it in the realm of
sexuality, materialism or violence. Producers make movies for money. If the
viewers' cravings increase, they supply accordingly.

What is this worldly spirit?

The spirit behind pornography is to portray people as sex objects and to
debase and insult the God given use of sex. Thousands of women, children and
men have been lured into this industry. This has been the cause of broken
families, sexual and violent crimes and basically robs man and woman of
their
dignity. Why do I say all this? Because this  same spirit is slowly and
subtly but surely seeping into our entertainment and 'family TV shows' and
films. Why do we need to explicitly exhibit sex which is something intimate,
an expression of love between husband and wife, for a specifice purpose that
involves only the two of them, to
the whole world when it does not have anything to do with a third party?

We also need to look at the lives of the actors and actresses. Most are
divorced at least once. Many are on drugs and are involved in the occult. I
remember reading in a recent newspaper that a few of them  (Catherine Zeta
Jones/Madonna if I'm not mistaken, have strange ghostly figures walking
about
their house at night / crockery moving around by  itself, etc).

Nowadays, I notice that many movies have something evil/ occult related
about
them. However, I am not an avid movie watcher , so I might be mistaken. Some
explicitly make fun of Jesus and the gospel.

Another dimension to this is the one of self discipline. In the words of
Schuller "there are mysterious, intricate, and complex
connections of boday, brain and soul. Persons who discipline their eating,
drinking and sexual appetites, often experience a mysterious surge of
creative powers and a rebirth of spiritualty' In contrast the person who
does'nt discipline himself/ or 'lets himself go' finds his faith becoming '
flabby' " Some movies may not specifically lead us into direct sin, but too
much can make us spiritually flabby. All of us including me, face
temptations
and struggle with them. This will continue as long as we live in this
imperfect world. Some selfdiscipline is good at times even if you are strong
in this area (sexual temptations)

Neurologists and psychologists have demonstrated that our memory stores
everything that our senses have picked up all through our life even though
we
may not remember it. Certain impulses can rekindle them and may lead us into
temptation. Yes, the blood of Jesus washes every sin away but we still need
to guard our minds and hearts against anything that might defile them. Read
Ephesians 5.

Having said this, I must admit that there are many wholesome and edifying
movies and these will have a positive effect on us. Let us encourage and
watch them.

Most important, Smitha, since you say that you are a new believer in Christ;
try and develop a close relationship with Him thro prayer, fellowship and
the
sacraments.(I know that you are already doing this since you've asked this
question). This will develop and personalize your spiritual antenna and you
will be able to judge for yourself since general rules may not be applicable
to all. Be encouraged, even though you are a new believer, since, even after
many years with the Lord, if a Christian lets go of Him, he will fall
immediately! The answer is close fellowship  with Him.

So, the answer may not be to avoid movies altogether but to develop a close
relationship with Him so that we love what is good.  And evil will not
affect
us even if we are at times exposed to it.

Love & prayers
Christopher