@dbj

That is not a bad concept at all. In IE8, they've implemented a
compatibility mode for IE7, I'm sure it could be done for IE6.

@david

This is actually very related to jQuery development in that at some
point, the decision will have to be made to drop support for IE6 (and
other older browsers). Whether this is within the next week or the
next few years, it is still an issue.

@all

You still have some - and a substantial amount - using operating
systems that aren't supported by more recent browsers and are
complicated by situations where they can't upgrade to experience the
latest and greatest in web technology. At some point, we as
professionals in this industry cannot cater to that crowd anymore and
have to move on. Just because someone moves next to the airport and
they don't like the noise doesn't mean they're gonna move the airport.
This may not be the right time to drop IE6, but will there ever be a
right time?

On the other hand, if it's not a big deal to support IE6, then why not
support it? But if it's dragging down the development of one of the
best JavaScript frameworks out there, then that might be a reason to
start thinking about it now.