@tres

Voice of reason. Thanks

@all

Solution I am proposing will work even for M$FT. If and when (sort-of-
a) supporting IE4-7 becomes not-feasible. They did the same solution
but for XP. Instead of supporting legacy OS they delivered a virtual
environment for legacy OS apps. I simply am suggesting the same for
legacy web apps.

jQuery and IE old : I am wondering why mainstream  jQ supports IE6
actually? How many developers actually need and use that? Who and when
will be developing an web app today , that will run on IE6 too ? 99%
of web apps developed on jQ are new apps for new browsers. If I
develop web app today, using jQ or not, I would certainly not promise
it will run on IE6, or IE7. Certainly there are large customers still
using IE6 for their corporate intranets, but they can introduce FF or
Chrome in parallel.
The number of developers actually developing today and supporting IE6
is very small. jQuery or not. In any case they should be easy to
count.
I vote for droping IE6 and IE7 support from jQuery. In the same time
there should be a separate version that will support them. But not for
ever.