Since I remembered this :
http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-dev/browse_thread/thread/5e63ab0adf17aabc?pli=1
I implemented a common poller for all xhr based requests. So, no matter how
many concurrent requests you have, there will only be *1* timer used.

See top of the file:
http://github.com/jaubourg/jquery/blob/7980f80181262ba65dc9de19d254deb0752d7269/src/transports/xhr.js

Definitively back-portable into current implementation.