> As I mentioned in my previous
> post, one of this approach's downside is "null vs auto" confusion as
> auto is like null plus more (json, script, future accepted dataTypes).
> The whole point is that "auto" means auto-detect type via content-type
> headers and null does not mean that (it means guess between html or
> xml)

This is exactly where the solution is inconsistent.

"auto", in your implementation, does not mean "null plus more (json, script,
*future accepted dataTypes*)" but it just means "null plus json & script"
and only that. Following your idea that a library has to keep exactly the
same behavior from versions to versions (which jQuery broke btw when
ditching the @ syntax for attributes in selectors) then what happens if &
when jQuery introduces a new auto-detectable dataType in 1.4.1? You create
an "auto2" dataType so that existing code running in 1.4 is unaffected (ie:
the new dataType is not auto-detected)? How would you document such a
behaviour? What happens when there's another auto-detectable dataType
introduced in 1.4.2?

Giving programmers a way to specify exactly the dataTypes they expect to be
auto-detected is the way to go (would it be with an array or an expression).
Just add a s.dataType = s.dataType || [text,xml] in the ajax code and you're
done: no backward compatibility issue... plus you're safe for future
developments in the dataType auto-detection area.