Here is a pretty quick and dirty implementation of an fxqueue:
http://brandonaaron.net/jquery/plugins/fxqueue/

You can see the test page here:
http://brandonaaron.net/jquery/plugins/fxqueue/test/test.html

And I just checked it into the plugins SVN.
http://jqueryjs.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/plugins/fxqueue/

Let me know if it works, doesn't work ... etc. :)

--
Brandon Aaron