Sorry I thought you where looking for offsetWidth which is what outerWidth
method does.

--
Brandon Aaron

On 6/26/07, Ganeshji Marwaha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

thanks glen... but i don't completely agree, because technically,
according to the box model, width does not include border, padding, margin
etc.
But the total box's width, (not the element's width property) accounts for
width+border+padding+margin. This is how a box is seen by the browser AFAIK.

So, it is understandable that jquery's width() method returns the elements
width style alone . But why is dimension's plugin explicitly intended to
give the width+padding+border without including the margin? maybe because
that is what offsetWidth property returns and that is what outerWidth means
probably... no idea. It would be great if someone knew the answer.

Regardless, thank u very much for the calculation suggestion. it works.. i
used offsetWidth + margin-left + margin-right and it works like a charm.
Dont know what will happen when percent values are specified though. got to
try that out as well ;)

-GTG

On 6/26/07, Glen Lipka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But margin shouldn't be included in width.
> According to box model that is outside the box.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/box.html
>
> Hmm, is there something that computes it all?
> http://www.redmelon.net/tstme/box_model/  <-- not helpful but cool to
> play with.
>
> You could do it on your own, offset + margin-left + margin-right
>
> Glen
>

> On 6/26/07, Ganeshji Marwaha < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > hey, thanks for putting together a demo page in no time...
> > Still, in your settings the margin is not included. When i include the
> > margin, the outerWidth returns the result excluding the margin.
> >
> > :((
> >
> > - GTG
> >
> > On 6/26/07, Glen Lipka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > http://www.commadot.com/jquery/dimensions/
> > > Im too slow. But I made a little test page to see what outputs what.
> > >
> > > Change the settings in firebug and click the box.
> > >
> > > Glen

Website." Mike