>Some potential problems with the new plugin repo include:
>
>a) Spambots are gonna figure out how to invade it at some point
>(probably).

Yeah, that's definitely a potential issue--especially with the popularity of
jQuery.

>b) There are nearly no controls in place to keep a malicious user from
>"spamming" his plugin all over the place, e.g. by adding it to every
>category or uploading it via multiple names.
>
>c) The alphabetic display of plugins rewards those authors who name
>their plugins starting with the letter 'A', because those are the
>first ones which users will see when browsing the list.

While overall B & C are possible, I'm not it'll be a problem with the jQuery
community. Issue B might crop up from time to time, but moderating will take
care of that.

As for Issue C, I think most developers are going to read through the list
of all the plug-ins to make sure they grab the one that best fits their
needs. There are lots of similar plug-ins (especially when dealing with
tooltips and lightbox implementations.) Even if a developer does name their
plug-in with "A", it's still got to do the job correctly or people will
abandon it.

I guess as long as the jQuery plug-in repository is a list of open source,
non-commercial plug-ins, I can't see B or C being much of an issue.

-Dan