>Two words: google rating
>
>As far as search engines go, reportedly most people don't look past
>the first 3 entries if they find something suitable, and the vast
>majority of people never look past the first page of results.

Maybe I'm giving jQuery Developers too much credit, but I would think the
majority of developers are going to look for the best match for their
project--not just the first match.

Regardless, if the plug-in is crappy, people will go back.

A possible solution to this would be to factor sorting by a custom weight
which is based upon age and rating. Provide the most popular plug-ins at top
by default. However, I wouldn't implement this solution until there are more
ratings in the database.

Plus, I know there's a bug (http://jquery.com/plugins/node/185) where rating
a plug-in doesn't always register. I know votes for my plug-in don't seem to
register:

http://jquery.com/plugins/project/field