> From: cmbtrx
>
> Uh anyway sorry, the page itself is off-limits (per my client's
> request)...

Naw... You can always create a test case, without any of your client's code,
and post it on a public server like
http://pages.google.com/ - this will make it a LOT easier for people to help
you.

> ...but here's the code:
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC
> "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd";>
> <head>
> <title>test</title>
> <link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" type="text/css" />
> <script src="jquery.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> $(document).ready(function(){
>
>       $("a").click(function(){
>          alert("Thanks for visiting!");
>        });
>
> });
> </script>
> </head>

> [more html...]
>

> So, if I understand this, clicking on the "jQuery" link above
> should...uhh, pop an alert right? Or is jQuery really not that simple?
> Or do I have a typo? Or am I in the wrong profession? (OK, don't
> answer that.)

Yes, that's how it should work.

Nothing jumps out at me that's obviously wrong with the code, but what have you
tried so far in debugging it? If you haven't done
these, already, you should:

* Load the page with Firebug enabled to see if it logs any errors.

* Sprinkle the code with "console.log(123);" calls or "debugger;" statements so
Firebug logs the messages or stops in the debugger,
to see what if any of your code is actually being executed.

* Use the Information/View JavaScript command in the Web Developer toolbar to
see if jquery.js is actually being loaded.

Those are the kinds of things you need to do next. If nothing turns up, go get
that Google Pages account set up and post a test
case.

-Mike