For quickie debugging to FIrebug, you could define

$.fn.log = function { console.log(this); return this;};

and now you've got a chainable log that you can put anywhere in the
chain:
$('p').log().css('color', 'red').log().slideDown()
etc.

I haven't tested this (I'm sitting in front of IE 7) but it ought to
work.

Danny