Thanks for your help Jörn, that's solved that part of my equation.

I'm stuck again! I would like to find out how to get the value of an
id that ends in "_replace"

So for instance, I have the following line that looks for a input tag
with the type of submit, that has an id ending with "_replace". (It
can have anything before that).

So, for EG: <input type="submit" id="sendButton_replace" value="Send"/>

I then want to get the entire content of the id and store it into a
variable. I would also like to get the text in the Value and store it
as another variable.

I currently have:

$(document).ready(function(){
        $(":submit[id$='_replace']");
        var replaceID = $(":submit[id$='_replace']").val;
        alert (replaceID);
    return false;
});