There is a lot to grasp for you, but what you are doing is rather simple.

Forget the "AJAX callback" and "onSuccess". This is the answer to a common
problem that you dont have,

since your not using any AJAX.

For firebug, you need to activate the console, and look there if there is no
js error.

then in the bottom line of the console, paste this:

$('table').css('border','10px solid red');

If your table becomes red, then jquery is there. Otherwise, you to load
jquery correctly, with the right path.

Olivier