Wow! Wow! Wow! Using that replaceHTML function to empty out the
element took practically no time at all!
Though I wasn't able to get it to work properly in IE (tried only IE6)
as oldEl.innerHTML = html; kept bombing on me with "unknown runtime
error". I've removed the IE-only part and let it run the rest. It's
still many times faster than using $(el).empty();

However, I wasn't able to get replaceHTML to work on inserting HTML
into the DOM though. Using the previous suggestions, it would become:
replaceHtml('myElementID', out.join(''));

but the inserted HTML in 'myElementID' had all of the HTML tags (<tr>,