Got it working with the below code! Had to move my validation to the
top of the pre submit calls so it would validate first then do the
rest of the ajax submit I think. Hopefully this works for me!

Again Gustavo thanx for the help!

John

var options = {
                //meta:                         "validate",
        beforeSubmit:  showRequest,  // pre-submit callback
        success:       showResponse,  // post-submit callback
    };

        function showRequest(formData, jqForm, options) { // pre-submit
callback
                $("#myForm").validate({meta: "validate"})
                var formElement = jqForm[0];
                return true;
                //alert('About to submit');
        }

         $('#myForm').ajaxForm(options);

        function showResponse(responseText, statusText)  {  // post-submit
callback
                $.get('tasks.cfm',{},function(data){
                                        $('#newTasks').html(data);
                                        $('ul:last').fadeIn("slow");
                })
                //alert('Submitted and should have worked');