It's probably not a good idea to use the one at code.jquery.com. You could use the Google CDN version, though:

<script src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3/jquery.min.js " type="text/javascript"></script>

--Karl

____________
Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com
www.learningjquery.com

On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:51 AM, Andrew wrote:

I'm new to JavaScript -- and cannot get jQuery to work (unless I
access http://code.jquery.com/jquery-latest.js)

Is this permissible, or do I have to download jquery.js to my server?

If not, I have other questions:
* my hosting service does doesn't have gzip compression enabled --
what file do I need to install on my server if I don't have GZIP
available?
* how can I extract  that file (jquery.js?) from jquery-1.3.2.js.txt?
(looked for GZipper, but from what I can see that's Mac s/w and I'm
running windows)

Please make you answer really simple, as I'm really lost here!