On Dec 7, 11:49 am, Firefox <barrie.wh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have recently been tasked with making sure the following script
> works with our environment.
>
> http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3.2/jquery.min.js [ ... ]

That script is the latest release of the jQuery library.

It doesn't do any work you care about by itself.  It needs to be
included in a web page to do anything useful. [1]

> However when running under IE (any version) I first get asked if I
> want to open/save/cancel the file, when choosing open I get the
> following error [ ... ]
>
> Error: 'document' is undefined

This is not a script that can simply run from the command line.
Windows will by default try to open this up as an executable script,
but will not supply a browser environment that includes the global
variable "document", hence the error.

You need to look at some introductory documentation to see what jQuery
is for and how to use it.   I would suggest starting with this:

    http://docs.jquery.com/How_jQuery_Works

Any place in that tutorial that has a script tag with this:

    src="jquery.js"

you can substitute:

    src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3.2/
jquery.min.js"

That should get you going.

But the notion of testing whether it will "work" in your environment
is pretty fuzzy.  jQuery is well established and works for many people
working in the vast majority of commonly-seen browsers over a great
many tasks, but without additional code to actually do something with
it, it's not clear what it would meant that it works.

Good luck,

  -- Scott

[1] This is an oversimplification, but is enough for this discussion.