Many thanks for your replies.

Yes I can confirm we have web developers that are re-writing our
entire website, and they will be using jquery within it.

I know the code itself does not do anything, but the developers seem
convinced it should at least display the same info as it does when run
with firefox.  The team I work for is responsible for looking at
GPO's, I guess I really just need to know if there are any particular
IE settings that have to be enabled.  If the answer is no, that is
fine, because then I can go back to them with that :-D

thanks for your time