The mailing list/forum admins can install Mailman and use their own mailing list, and manage the spam themselves, without depending on a third party mailing list provider.

A mailing list is more accessible than a forum for everyone, and there are solutions for presenting the emails on a public web forum if this is wanted, but I guess that the mailing list admins choosed the easiest solution, not the best.

Octavian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Quackenbush" <quackfu...@gmail.com>
To: <jquery-en@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2010 1:51 AM
Subject: Re: [jQuery] New Forums

I concur regarding mailing list vs. forum.  Both have their positives and
negatives, but these days I definitely prefer a mailing list over forums.
Perhaps the jQuery team could not find another mailing list that would
import all of the existing posts on Google Groups?  (My understanding is
that they were able to do just that with the new forums.)