On Jan 21, 2010, at 8:11 PM, brian wrote:

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the decision to drop Google Groups is due to
John Ressig's account being spoofed by spammers.

No, that's not it. Okay, maybe it was one of the last straws, but we've been talking about moving to a forum for a couple years now. If you want to know what factors were involved in the decision, please read
http://jquery14.com/day-07/new-jquery-forum/

To be honest, I've never been a fan of forums, either. But after spending some time in the jQuery forum, I'm starting to appreciate its advantages over a plain mailing list. I wish there were a solution out there that is ideal for everyone. Unfortunately, though, every solution comes with its own set of compromises.

--Karl

Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com
www.learningjquery.com