From: charles arehart [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 9:27 AM
To: JRun-Talk
Subject: RE: access a MS Access DB from Jrun

Right, we're in agreement. I too have apps built years ago with ColdFusion
and Access that still run with no problem having hundreds if not thousands
of hits per day, but there will be others who'll want to jump in and declare
Access null and void "for production" right off the bat. I was just hoping
to temper that oft-raised debate. They may very well still wade in
responding to Tamas' original note before reading ours. :-)

But I'm intrigued by your assertion that "the problems with the JDBC-ODBC
Bridge driver far outweighs Access's limitations". Are you saying that you
found that you couldn't even do the equivalent application in Java using the
JDBC-ODBC driver? Or in other words, that all things being equal (regarding
volume and nature of access to the database) an app using the JDBC driver
would not perform as well as it might because of the driver itself? (Of
course, I'm again not trying to open the debate of ASP or CF vs
JSP/servlets: I'm referring just to any anecdotal experience to suggest that
the JDBC-ODBC driver itself would be specifically at fault for poorer
performance than an equivalent app written in another platform accessing the
same Access DB.)

If that's the case, then it would seem the conclusion would be to use Access
only for proofs of concept, extremely light load apps, etc, and move to
another DBMS, as you did, for production.

I suppose that was the meaning in the Sun's recommendation to not use it for
"production". It's just that blanch at such overarching statements because
"production" means so many things to so many people. Indeed, the same
argument is made against Access, but as we've discussed that's not always a
fair accusation.

But it sounds like the argument against the driver isn't the same as the
argument against Access. Thanks for clarifying that.

I wonder, given that some would still want to try to use Access in the right
circumstances, if anyone or any company has come out with an alternative
JDBC driver for Access?

/charlie