On 2/3/11, Guillaume Andrieu <gh...@taleo-initiative.org> wrote:
> Hi Garrett.
>
> In 2007 I started reviewing YUI and moved on to prototype.js, Dojo,
>> jQuery, Mootools, Ext-js, Sencha, and others. They all have different
>> problems but the common problematic themes seem to be interdependency,
>> being too general, making poor inferences and typechecking.
>

> So what do you do now?

Now I am looking for a competent sports med doc in San Francisco.
Someone who has expertise with knees and who can work with my
insurance.

I participate in individual sports and martial arts and seem to have
torn my ACL and damaged my meniscus and probably more. No MRI yet. The
first doctor I saw (Dr. Chase of San Francisco General Hospital,
Urgent Care) said I was fine.

Rewrite everything from scratch?

Building packages or modules of functionality is a fine idea but don't
recreate "The Thing" where everything depends on that thing.

>> Learning javascript building quality code has little to do with making
>> money.
>>

> I was not talking about making money.

I know. Programming is not a very rewarding endeavor, so money tends
to be a big motivator in learning it.

> I'm interested in learning how to build web applications without Javascript
> libraries ("not being an incompetent", to use you terms :) ).

Creating and organizing abstractions well takes a lot of trial and error.

Do not create a set of abstractions that have not gotten real need;
make sure you really need them first. Do not be too general,
especially with cross browser DOM adapters and keep the parts
independent enough so that you can swap out one interface object with
another, but only as needed.

Garrett