Dimirtri writes:

> - a tag library from the start, with standard tags for looping, etc
> - simple syntax for accessing variables, etc in HTML without resorting to
> overly complex XML stylee

  Yes, this would be nice, similar to the Message/DateFormat stuff in java.text/util

> - NO java code allowed to be embedded in the HTML!

  I don't agree with this. History has taught us there must always be
an "escape" mechanism to get functionality not present. With Java it's
JNI, with JSP, it's Java, etc. For instance, on the XSL list, for a long time,
people were against allowing an "escape" to extension functions, or outputing
non-XML, until real world developers brought up cases where they would be
incredibility useful.

> - avoiding "compiling" JSP pages into class files (not necessary when no
> java code)

Why would you want to avoid compilation? To me, compilation is the single
greatest thing about servlets and JSP. It's what differentiates Java
from Python, AOL Server/TCL,  mod_perl, php3, and the other solutions,
which is the possibility of scalability.

The greatest thing about Tag libraries IMHO is that they aren't "interpreted",
but actually generate code which is compiled.

And, as long as the tag library was bug free, you avoid the whole argument
of error messages being hard to track.