So, I wanted to circle back around to this thread. I think a lot of good
feedback has come from this, and we're looking into making the reactive
framework leaner and better for charm authors. However, I ran a few deploy
tests and have the following results:

15 Dec 2016 00:18:53Z workload waiting     waiting for machine
15 Dec 2016 00:18:53Z juju-unit allocating
15 Dec 2016 00:20:13Z workload waiting     installing agent
15 Dec 2016 00:20:13Z workload waiting     agent initializing
15 Dec 2016 00:20:14Z workload maintenance installing charm software
15 Dec 2016 00:20:14Z juju-unit executing   running install hook
15 Dec 2016 00:20:46Z workload active     ready
15 Dec 2016 00:20:46Z juju-unit executing   running leader-elected hook
15 Dec 2016 00:20:47Z juju-unit executing   running start hook

I did this a few more times on Amazon, and the results were almost
identical. We have 80 seconds from machine requested to booted in cloud.
Less than a second for agent to initialize and 32 seconds to go from
install hook running to the workload being ready and active. While I'm sure
we can slim that down 10-15 seconds by not installing build-essentials the
largest time suck is still the cloud bringing up the instance.

I plan on doing this across all the clouds I have access to, and track in a
spreadsheet. I'll share that sheet out in a bit.

Thanks,
Marco Ceppi