Make sure you also run on LXD with a decent delay to the APT archive.

That is what makes my local testing slow.

Tim

On 15/12/16 13:34, Marco Ceppi wrote:
So, I wanted to circle back around to this thread. I think a lot of good
feedback has come from this, and we're looking into making the reactive
framework leaner and better for charm authors. However, I ran a few
deploy tests and have the following results:

15 Dec 2016 00:18:53Zworkload waiting    waiting for machine
15 Dec 2016 00:18:53Zjuju-unitallocating
15 Dec 2016 00:20:13Zworkload waiting    installing agent
15 Dec 2016 00:20:13Zworkload waiting    agent initializing
15 Dec 2016 00:20:14Zworkload maintenanceinstalling charm software
15 Dec 2016 00:20:14Zjuju-unitexecuting  running install hook
15 Dec 2016 00:20:46Zworkload active     ready
15 Dec 2016 00:20:46Zjuju-unitexecuting  running leader-elected hook
15 Dec 2016 00:20:47Zjuju-unitexecuting  running start hook

I did this a few more times on Amazon, and the results were almost
identical. We have 80 seconds from machine requested to booted in cloud.
Less than a second for agent to initialize and 32 seconds to go from
install hook running to the workload being ready and active. While I'm
sure we can slim that down 10-15 seconds by not installing
build-essentials the largest time suck is still the cloud bringing up
the instance.

I plan on doing this across all the clouds I have access to, and track
in a spreadsheet. I'll share that sheet out in a bit.

Thanks,
Marco Ceppi

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 5:00 AM Adam Collard <adam.coll...@canonical.com