On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 9:55 AM, John Meinel <j...@arbash-meinel.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:41 PM, Andreas Hasenack <andr...@canonical.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 3:11 PM, John Meinel <j...@arbash-meinel.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I believe --config can take a file rather than just a 'key=value'
>>> pairing. So you can save all your config to a file and pass it in with
>>> '--config myconf.yaml'
>>>
>>> There was discussion of having a default search path for some of the
>>> config, but I'm not sure if that got implemented, nor if it is actually
>>> better since it is another magic place that you have to discover.
>>>

>> This is the experience with juju 1:
>> juju switch scapestack
>> juju bootstrap
>>
>> This is the same experience with juju 2:
>> juju bootstrap scapestack-controller scapestack --config
>> ~/juju2-configs/scapestack.yaml
>>

> But where did the settings for scapestack get set up in the first place.
> You're missing some of the original "edit ~/.juju/environment.yaml" to
> insert the right information.

The scenario is starting from an already configured cloud in both juju1 and
juju2, and my use case is MAAS, not public clouds. Except in juju2 I have
to specify the configuration file everytime. If starting from scratch, the
juju2 way requires even more steps.

> If you are sharing information with someone else, being able to give them
> the file with all of the configuration becomes quite a bit easier, as you
> gave them the file, they saved it somewhere they know about, and then they
> pass that in to the bootstrap command. Rather than giving a snippet, that
> needs to be inserted into an existing file in the right place, and then it
> magically works if you named everything correctly.

This configuration file you mention is far from complete. It's 1/3 of the
details, as it does not have, for example, the cloud endpoint, nor the
credentials. Just bootstrap-timeout, in my case.

> So while for people that have everything set up already, there is a bit
> more to write, for people coming to the system I think it is quite a bit
> more obvious for them.

I think it's less obvious. At least it was less obvious to me, maybe
because of my juju1 experience. And changing is fine: just wanted to share
what my experience with this new process was.

It's my understanding that there are 3 elements that you have to configure
in juju2, separately, when you start from scratch: cloud definition,
credential information and remaining configuration. In juju1 all 3 are in
the same environments.yaml section. All under the "environment" (now model)
name.

You go from this one snippet (environments.yaml) to 3 files and 2 commands.
In juju2 you have to create a cloud file for MAAS, then create a
credentials file for that MAAS. Then import both (two commands), which
links the credentials to the "maas cloud". Then create a config file for
things that cannot be specified in the cloud definition file (like
bootstrap-timeout, crucial for the MAAS provider), and specify that
everytime you bootstrap.

> As noted, the number of times you have to bootstrap should be going down,
> and if you are bootstrapping different-but-similar, then you again have a
> single config that can be reused.

I'd love to be able to share a controller node with my colleagues. I tried
setting that up and creating a juju user, but in the end that user's MAAS
nodes were all allocated to "me" in MAAS, which was a bit unexpected. The
person running juju commands had his own MAAS credentials setup. Until that
is not setup, I can't keep a MAAS node allocated to my user 24/7, it's an
expensive resource. I need to play with this shared controller idea a bit
more.