I am not sure if this appeals to you, but I'm happy to share my
configuration.  I just use the REPL and a decent editor (vim), which I'm
happy with.

I've been using this setup for the past couple months (mid-March). I've
only had occasionally issues, but I follow HEAD so that is expected.  I am
now on 10.9, but this has been short enough that only a few deps have been
updated via system homebrew.  Things could break there, but never have.

The situation I finally created was:
 - homebrew and then pip to install python / scipy / ipython (see iJulia
docs)
 - git repo of Julia github/master
 - Pkg.add(...), Pkg.update(), etc.

Ideally, I'm not sure I really need the julia homebrew which this uses by
default.  But it works, so I haven't worried about resolving this.

1. I pull and re-compile master every few days.  I usually scan the dev /
users list before that to look for any ongoing gotchas, or new github
issues.
2. When I compile Julia, and I do a few tests (basic crunching, Winston
plots via Cairo, iJulia) then I use a local tag in my git repo to signify
the working version.  It is just easier for me to roll things back, but
certainly not strictly necessary.
3. I usually only  Pkg.update() after I've confirmed a new Julia compiles
and seems to work from the above tests.

Most of the issues I've had were between 2 & 3 not being in sync.  Some
small changes where packages didn't catch up.  I've been impressed with how
quickly many of the authors have fixed things, so it's rarely been an
issue.  The one issue of Julia rollback I had to do was pretty easy (an
issue that broke Grid.jl, I rolled back master for a couple days and
watched the discussion / issue until it was resolved).

I think this works as a lot of developers try and run real stuff with
master, and most of the current packages are tracking master as the
language develops.  YMMV, but I've been satisfied with the stability of
this.

Cameron

p.s. I tried using anaconda to pin the python previously, which worked, but
had some issues. I was happier when I did homebrew only python.