On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Arnaud Amiel <aam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As suggested by a few of you, I put everything in a function and now it
> runs in 1/4 s, that is nearly 32 x improvement for 'no change' that is one
> of the aspects I don't like in julia.

I've used Julia for a couple of years now, and am quite used to it, but I
very much agree with this sentiment.  I recently introduced Julia to a
colleague, and he ran into exactly this issue--that timing direct commands
vs. the same commands in a function produce the same results with very
different timings.

Having used and contributed to Julia for a while, I have a reasonably good
understanding of why this is the case and why it hasn't been fixed (and
might not be for a while). But I've often found it challenging to convey
this to others (especially those coming from languages where types are
often hidden, like Matlab).

While I know this is on the radar of the main developers, a search didn't
yield an issue for better optimization of REPL inputs.  Is there one that I
missed?  Should there be?

Cheers,
   Kevin