I definitely agree that the current status is suboptimal. Lord only knows
I've spent a lot of time thinking about ways to fix the slow global scope
issue. Many but by no means all of these thoughts are in the issues Jacob
linked to. If we figure out a solution that seems to be the right way to do
it, it will be a really good day. Until then, it seems to me that the point
of view that it's a bad thing to get a 32x speedup with very little effort
or change is a lousy way to look at things. A lot of effort has been put
into allowing that 32x speedup. Not coincidentally, 32x is about how much
slower Python is for this kind of code; Matlab, R and Octave are slower.

I may have woken up on the wrong side of bed this morning (actually, I'm
sure of that – I should probably stop answering emails), and I do apologize
for being sarcastic or snarky about this. It's frustrating when so much
work has been put into making it *possible* for a high-level dynamic
language to run this fast and then the main commentary is about how it's
not always that fast. It is possible to write slow code in any language –
figuring out how to make your code fast is a learning process in every
language except the ones where it can't be done.