My inclination is to include type checking and linting in base Julia,
automatically invoked by a "paranoid" mode that also ignores inbounds
annotations and such. Then the testing infrastructure should run tests in
paranoid mode, linting and type checking the code to be tested. This seems like
a good point to have that kind of check automatically since you're already
asking for that kind of feedback. Since packages should always have tests, this
will also serve to make sure that packages pass type check and lint inspection.